Information Technology Specialist 3 - Academic Technologies
Bulletin number: 2014-004SM
Closing date: 02/19/2014 at 5:00 p.m. PST
Note: The College will be closed on February 17, 2014 in observance of Presidents’ Day
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-eligible Information Technology Specialist 3 position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,800. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $4,114 - $5,535 per month of full time work..
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/benefits.htm
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
This position provides curricular technology design, consultation, and integration in a multi-disciplinary and campus wide-computing environment using current technology tools and techniques; collaborates closely with other campus constituencies including technology providers across disciplines; and provides comprehensive consultation to users/clients and computing support personnel to define requirements and develop processes for supporting related services.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Under general direction of the Associate Director of Computing and Communications, Academic Computing, this position is responsible for supporting a wide spectrum of both the full and part-time curriculum and is responsible for solving a wide-range of technical problems as it relates to curricular applications and support systems. This position works directly, and on a regular basis with faculty and Academic Computing staff to ensure that faculty and student curricular computing needs are clearly identified, prioritized, and facilitated and assists faculty in identifying, evaluating, and integrating current technology solutions in their teaching.
- Four years of information technology experience such as analyzing, designing, installing, programming, and/or maintaining computer software applications, hardware, telecommunications, or network infra-structure equipment or providing customer or technical support in information technology.
Work closely with faculty to ensure an understanding of their curricular issues and needs and develop the appropriate technology plans and processes to meet those needs.
- Provide high level instructional design, development and support for the curricular use of Evergreen’s Learning Management System (LMS)
- Develop and provide broad technology support to the curriculum, serving curricular needs across all disciplines.
- Collaborate with faculty on curriculum planning by identifying and developing appropriate technology resources to meet their curricular objectives.
- Provide comprehensive instruction and training for faculty with current and emergent technologies based on the learning objectives designated by the faculty. This may include preparing documentation, exercise sets, quick reference guides, and on-line materials.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Academic Computing team in planning for the efficient coordination and use of the multiple technology resources in Academic Computing.
- Work with faculty on acquiring software, performing evaluations and preparing recommendations for use in teaching.
Provide comprehensive support to academic programs across many platforms in software applications and curricular web applications.
- With faculty and other Academic Computing staff, identify common software required for curricular programs for the campus teaching labs.
- As an instructional technology professional in Academic Computing, develop and provide workshops for academic programs facilitating computing use. This may focus on topics in multimedia, scientific applications, web development and current collaborative applications.
Develop and implement strategies for increased usability of academic technologies through consultation, collaboration and application styling and configuration.
- In collaboration with other technical staff in Computing and Communications, develop strategies and methodologies for the configuration and delivery of academic tools and technologies for faculty and students.
- Build templates, update and maintain user interfaces and increase user experience to curricular toolsets through usability testing, application styling and theming and other modifications as needed.
- Plan, develop and maintain technical user documentation and open help documentation.
- Work with other staff in Academic Computing to provide coordinated curricula support.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Advanced knowledge, skill and ability in designing and providing adult-level instructional technology support for academic programs/classes.
- Excellent teaching and instructional skills in training both faculty and students in using current technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of the academic applications of technology such as online curricular tools, Learning Management Systems (LMS), web publishing platforms and multimedia tools.
- Proficiency in basic scripting tools to support web applications such as Moodle, Canvas, Wordpress, Mediawiki and other internal systems.
- Excellent knowledge of Linux, Microsoft, and Mac operating systems, mobile platforms and current network environments.
- Excellent technology coaching and related organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to move and install computer systems and peripherals weighing about 30 pounds.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
TO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. Possess the skills and abilities required to perform the position;
2. Complete the General Application form (Word | PDF); and
3. Complete a Key Skills and Abilities Inventory form (Word | PDF) to indicate your ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
4. An Affirmative Action Data Sheet (Word | PDF). Note: Submission of this statistical information is voluntary.
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials. By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on-campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Mail: The Evergreen State College
Human Resource Services, Library Bldg Room 3102
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505
Fax: (360) 867-6823
Or in person to the Human Resource Services office, Library Building room 3102.
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360) 867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.