Flaming Eggplant Café Coordinator
Bulletin number: 2013-034SM
Closes: 8/5/2013 at 5:00 p.m. PST
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-exempt, cyclic year Flaming Eggplant Café Coordinator position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. This position is scheduled to work from September through July each year (August is off-contract) with benefits paid year round. This position is exempt from Washington State Civil Service rules and the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime requirements.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,500. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $3,011 to $3,463 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll.
- Exempt employees that work more than 0.5 FTE will become eligible for the tuition waiver program.
The Flaming Eggplant Café Coordinator is responsible for providing leadership, fiscal management, programmatic administration, and coordination for a student run Café that is collectively governed and sources ecologically and socially responsible food. This position manages operational budgets of approximately $200,000 and supervises up to 25 student employees and occasional volunteers and interns. The Coordinator collaborates with students to develop policies and procedures, provides guidance and training, and works with students to establish goals for the Café. In addition, the Coordinator oversees the daily operations of the Café assuring that it functions in accordance with the mission and goals and ensures that all college and state rules, regulations, and policies are applied to the business and financial functions of the Café such as purchasing, personnel, and cash handling.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The position reports to the Director of Residential and Dining Services (RAD) and works closely with RAD, Student Activities, and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
The Flaming Eggplant Café’s unique characteristics come from its history of student-led grassroots efforts to provide ecologically and socially responsible sourced food at affordable prices to the Evergreen Community. The Café is structured as a worker collective using a consensus decision making process.
This position requires awareness, a passion for social and environmental sustainability, local economics, food security, cooperative management, and collective decision making. Operating a food service to these standards in an institutional environment takes tenacity and passion. The position both supports and holds students accountable in maintaining a healthy organization and successful business.
The position is responsible for maintaining day-to-day operations of the Café, as well as ensuring the long-term continuation of the organization. The Coordinator is the link between The Flaming Eggplant Café and departments which is relies upon at The Evergreen State College. The position works closely with the student leadership, as well as Business Services, Facilities, and Student Activities.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One year full time experience in the food service industry, including demonstrated experience with and knowledge about food sustainability and socially just food systems.
- Advanced degree.
- Experience as an owner or manager of a food service.
- Experience working within non-hierarchical organizations.
- Education in sustainable business.
- Experience working with Banner or other computerized accounting system.
- ServSafe certification or willingness to attain.
This position manages the day-to-day Café operations including:
- Meet daily with the students to discuss and coordinate day to day management of Café operations.
- Provide guidance and training to students to ensure collaborative and participatory management of the Café.
- Identify employee needs for information, training, and support and develops and coordinates necessary training in areas such as: consensus and participatory decision making, collaborative leadership, conflict resolution, and group process.
- Collaboratively craft and refine policy and procedures pertaining to the organizational structure of the Café.
- Ensure that student leaders receive proper training in areas of food preparation, cash handling, barista skills, and equipment/kitchen safety.
- Assure the completion of quarterly evaluations of employees and exit interviews.
- Address interpersonal issues that arise amongst student staff.
- Advise on publicity and marketing initiatives.
- Facilitate student learning by supporting activities such as internships and individual learning contracts relating to the Café and its mission.
- Remain available to respond to crisis situations as they emerge.
- Provide backup for all day-to-day Café operations.
- Be available for occasional night or weekend work as necessary.
- Serve as appointing authority for financial matters and is responsible for the management, oversight, and strategic planning of the Café’s operational and auxiliary budgets.
- Review and authorize all expenditures from the operational budget and S & A recharge accounts.
- Ensure compliance with all college and state purchasing and cash handling policies and procedures.
- Work with the student Financial Committee and college Business Office to ensure prompt payment of all bills.
- Ensure the completion of monthly comprehensive inventory of the Café’s food assets.
- Plan and implement long- and short- range financial goals for the Café including the annual operational budget.
- Prepare biannual report and budget requests to the S & A board for operating support. In off years, prepare special initiative requests for additional needs such as capital requests, goods and services, and leadership wages that are not covered in operational budget.
- Support student Financial Liaison in the analysis and reporting of sales, product pricing, and budget expenditures.
Administrative oversight of the Café:
- Maintain successful working relationships with Café vendors.
- Source ecologically and socially responsible food by researching and being cognizant of the impacts of the Café’s purchases.
- Maintain accountability for the successful recruitment, hiring, scheduling, training, and evaluating of all employees, volunteers, and interns.
- Complete relevant forms and documents for new employees and certify hours of all employees each pay period.
- Ensure the Café is operating in a safe and healthy manner and in compliance with the Thurston County Health Department.
- Ensure that the employee handbook and other official documents are kept up to date with current policies and procedures and are properly stored on the shared network.
- Work closely with Business Services staff (e.g., Accountants, Student Employment, and Purchasing) to ensure compliance with all applicable College policies and procedures.
- Report to the Flaming Eggplant Board of Advisors per the existing bylaws.
- Work with campus facilities to ensure that all equipment and other facility issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Seek out and organize professional development and networking opportunities for the Café staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with regional and national student food associations.
- Complete other tasks or duties as required or assigned.
- Serve on College or Division committees as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability and skill in managing complex budgets.
- Knowledge of administrative functions such as purchasing, cash handling, and timekeeping procedures.
- Excellent supervisory skills and facilitation abilities including: the ability to supervise and coach a diverse staff, successfully train and direct the work of others, evaluate performance, and address job performance issues.
- Ability to foster an environment of consensus and cooperation.
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, staff, faculty, and off-campus community members.
- Ability to complete a diverse range of administrative duties within a college environment.
- Ability to maintain, orderly accessible records, files, and policy and procedure manuals.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial operations of a food service business.
- Knowledge about food systems, sustainability, and health.
- Knowledge of and commitment to social and environmental sustainability, local economics, food security, cooperative management, and collective decision making.
- Ability to understand the mission and vision and long-term goals for the organization.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work assignments; ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- Ability to exercise initiative in problem solving.
- Strong written, conversational, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent public relations and customer service skills.
- Skill and ability in working with diverse staff and students and maintaining sensitivity to differences.
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend work.
ENVIRONMENT AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- This position will fluctuate between working in an office, meeting with students and college staff, and helping in the kitchen spaces.
- May on occasion demonstrate the physical ability to perform work that includes the ability to lift and move equipment up to 50 pounds unaided; push or pull equipment; ability to reach, stoop, twist and/or crouch.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Successfully obtain a Food Handler Permit within fourteen days of beginning work.
- Must be available for occasional evening and weekend work.
4. At least three work-related references including name, address, and telephone number. Note: By providing this information you are authorizing the college to contact your references.
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
The following text enables this job listing to be included in the National Resource Directory Job Bank:
Date Posted: August 8, 2013
The Flaming Eggplant Café Coordinator is responsible for providing leadership, fiscal management, programmatic administration, and coordination for a student run Café that is collectively governed and sources ecologically and socially responsible food. This position manages operational budgets of approximately $85,000 and supervises up to 25 student employees and occasional volunteers and interns. The Coordinator collaborates with students to develop policies and procedures, provides guidance and training, and works with students to establish goals for the Café. In addition, the Coordinator oversees the daily operations of the Café assuring that it functions in accordance with the mission and goals and ensures that all college and state rules, regulations, and policies are applied to the business and financial functions of the Café such as purchasing, personnel, and cash handling.
Location: Olympia, Washington
The Evergreen State College