Information Technology Specialist 3 - Client Services
Bulletin number: 2013-026PF
Closing date: 6/5/2013 at 5:00 p.m. PST
Note: The college will be closed on May 27, 2013 in observance of Memorial Day.
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-eligible Information Technology Specialist 3 position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,500. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $4,114 - $5,395 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/employeebenefits.htm
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass.
- After completion of the probationary period, employees are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
The purpose of this position is to provide highly skilled technical support, consultation, troubleshooting, problem analysis and resolution for applications and desktop support systems in a client/server environment. As a member of Client Services, this position provides comprehensive technical support and consultation services via email, telephone, walk-in and onsite appointments to college faculty and staff.
This position oversees all support aspects of the Client Services help desk to ensure that customer expectations are met or exceeded. This entails monitoring ticket metrics, ensuring that tickets are being escalated appropriately and efficiently, leveraging staff resources to their best use and ensuring that standards and processes are followed. The incumbent will also provide backup to the Associate Director in his/her absence.
This position's secondary goal is to serve as a liaison between Administrative Computing and Client Services through involvement in the support of the college’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) application, Banner, as well as other administrative applications. This position is responsible for assisting with Banner user management, documenting the desktop support aspect of administrative applications and serves as an escalation point for questions regarding supported applications.
- Four years of information technology experience such as analyzing, installing, and/or maintaining computer software applications, hardware, or providing customer or technical support in information technology.
- Three years experience working in a help desk environment; preferably as a lead/supervisor in a higher education help desk setting.
- At least one year of experience using network system tools such as Active Directory Users & Computers to troubleshoot / manage accounts within a networked environment.
- Experience with or support of an enterprise resource planning (ERP) application such as Ellucian’s Banner suite.
- Oversee 100% of the requests, incidents and problems.
- Manages and coordinates urgent and complicated support issues including troubleshooting network account and email issues using Active Directory User & Computer Tools.
- Assist as an escalation point for all requests and incidents from the Help Desk.
- Maintain ticket escalation processes to ensure free flowing escalation and information within the organization.
- Determine root cause of issues using advanced knowledge of network shares, permissions and accounts.
- Provide backup support for all front desk activities as needed.
- Front desk activities include answering help desk phones, assisting with walk-in support, answering help desk emails and assisting with on-site appointments.
- Provide reporting of trends and current issues to the Associate Director in weekly meetings.
- Provide suggestions for help desk process improvement and workflow.
- Ensure that the Client Services help desk maintains a positive voice / presence for Computing & Communications.
- Use administrator access within Ellucian’s Banner to create Banner accounts and assign security groups.
- Use existing identity management (IDM) applications to create, modify, deactivate and troubleshoot network accounts within an Active Directory environment.
- Serve as help desk lead for two Information Technology Specialist 2 positions who work in the Client Services help desk.
- Act as student supervisor for student technicians, including hiring and separation, training, scheduling and budget management.
- Serve as backup for the Associate Director when (s)he is on leave by handling emergency or project-related campus communications and assisting the team with priority issues.
- Assist the Administrative Computing team and end users in testing new releases of administrative applications by attending project meetings, participating in tests and assisting with the creation of desktop support related documentation.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of an internal knowledge base for Client Services as well as an external knowledge base for customer use.
- Provide project support within Client Services as needed by participating in meetings, providing input and assisting with the implementation and maintenance of Client Services systems.
- This position may serve as project lead by conducting needs assessments, coordinating project meetings and assisting with technical work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills including the ability to communicate appropriately to customers and Computing & Communications staff.
- Ability to lead and direct the work of other technicians.
- Ability to multitask in an occasionally fast-paced help desk environment with frequent interruptions
- Knowledge of identity management applications including active directory and network accounts.
- Knowledge of enterprise-wide resource planning applications.
- Ability to use web resources and other tools used to provide technical support in a help desk environment.
- Ability to create end user and technician documentation for supported systems.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to use / support versions of Windows, Macintosh and MS Office.
- Ability to analyze reports and identify support trends.
- Ability to lead projects and skill in providing consultation, conducting needs assessment, analyze workflow, and perform testing.
- Basic understanding of budgeting for student technician scheduling.
- Ability to consult with system managers in troubleshooting hardware and software problems.
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively and independently in a culturally diverse community.
- Ability to complete tasks independently.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials.
TO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. Possess the skills and abilities required to perform the position;
2. Complete the General Application form (Word | PDF); and
3. Complete a Key Skills and Abilities Inventory form (Word | PDF) to indicate your ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
4. An Affirmative Action Data Sheet (Word | PDF) Note: This optional information will be separated from your application materials and kept confidential.
By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses.
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Mail: The Evergreen State College
Human Resource Services, Library Bldg Room 3102
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505
Fax: (360) 867-6823
Or in person to the Human Resource Services office, Library Building room 3102.
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360) 867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to email@example.com.
The following text enables this job listing to be included in the National Resource Directory Job Bank
Date Posted: 5/17/2013
The purpose of this position is to provide highly skilled technical support, consultation, troubleshooting, problem analysis and resolution for applications and desktop support systems in a client/server environment. As a member of Client Services, this position provides comprehensive technical support and consultation services via email, telephone, walk-in and onsite appointments to college faculty and staff. This position oversees all support aspects of the Client Services help desk to ensure that customer expectations are met or exceeded. This entails monitoring ticket metrics, ensuring that tickets are being escalated appropriately and efficiently, leveraging staff resources to their best use and ensuring that standards and processes are followed. The incumbent will also provide backup to the Associate Director in his/her absence. This position's secondary goal is to serve as a liaison between Administrative Computing and Client Services through involvement in the support of the college’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) application, Banner, as well as other administrative applications. This position is responsible for assisting with Banner user management, documenting the desktop support aspect of administrative applications and serves as an escalation point for questions regarding supported applications.
Location: Olympia, Washington
The Evergreen State College