Critical Issues in Human Resources Management
Winter 2018 and Spring 2018 quarters
Companies today are working hard to stay relevant in a rapidly changing and hypercompetitive business environment. This is placing unprecedented pressure on both management and employees to transform workplaces to meet those business challenges. By designing human capital management systems and organization support structures that leverage knowledge of the organization's operations, employees, ever-changing compliance requirements and new technologies, human resources professionals have a huge role to play in shepherding the organization's cultural and organizational transformation to succeed.
This two-quarter program will first provide students with a foundation of the key components of effective human resources management that supports the employment lifecycle. They will then examine the new trends and challenges facing those functions, including:
- Changing workforce demographics (with five generations of workers in our workforce today) and the demand of today's workers for more personalization of their HR services;
- The legal and compliance environment relating to equal employment opportunity, nondiscrimination practices and workplace safety;
- Human resources planning, recruitment, selection, hiring and employee development (training);
- Compensation and benefits approaches within the shifting legal and regulatory environment;
- Performance management and employee development;
- Managing employee retention and termination;
- Collective bargaining and labor relations; and
- Putting the "human" in human resources by blending operational needs and strategic imperatives with tactics to empower employees and enhance the organization's employment brand.
The course will include class discussions, guest interviews with HR thought leaders, guided personal research and business case analysis. These business cases identify a real organization's challenge with a core HR function, and students will work on these problems both individually and in teams to solve the problems.
Fields of Studybusiness and management
human resources, business, public administration
QuartersWinter Open Spring Open
Location and Schedule
Final Schedule and Room Assignment
Alternating Saturday/Sunday Weekends, 9:30-5:00p
Winter: January 13/14, January 27/28, February 10/11, February 24/25, March 10/11
Spring: April 7/8, April 21/22, May 5/6, May 19/20, June 2/3
Online LearningHybrid Online Learning < 25% Delivered Online
|2017-08-10||New Program offering added for Winter/Spring|