Winter 2013 quarter
- Andrew Buchman music composition , Ratna Roy literature, dance, performance, cultural studies
- Fields of Study
- cultural studies, dance, gender and women's studies and music
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- performing arts, cultural studies, Asian studies, South Asia, gender studies and postcolonial studies.
In this program we will focus on the dance and music culture of central eastern India, specifically the art-rich state of Orissa. While some music or dance background would be useful, it is not necessary. This is a culture and history offering, along with some practical hands-on experience in dance and music. We will immerse ourselves in this ancient culture of dance and music. Our readings will include themes such as gender, colonial history and post-colonial theory, and the current economic ferment that is transforming many aspects of Indian society today. A research option is available for students who opt not focus on performance, in consultation with the faculty.
The first iconographical evidence of Orissa's dance and music culture comes from 2nd-1st century BCE, and the culture thrived for centuries before it declined under colonial rule to be partially revived in the 1950s and 60s. This effort still continues, and we will be part of that effort.
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Special Expenses
- $50 for performance tickets and supplies.
- Offered During
|November 28th, 2012||Description has been updated to reflect a research option for students who opt not to focus on performance.|