Winter 2012 quarter
- Dina Roberts conservation biology, wildlife management , David Phillips
- Fields of Study
- botany, ecology, environmental studies, field studies, international studies, language studies, mathematics, natural history, study abroad and zoology
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- environmental studies, ecology, conservation biology, evolutionary biology and Latin American studies.
- Introduction to Environmental Studies or one year of college-level science; Spanish is highly recommended.
The tropics are the cradle of the world's biodiversity. This program will focus on Costa Rica, emphasizing biological richness, field ecology, the physical environment, statistical analysis of field data, conservation biology and Latin American culture. The first seven weeks of the program will be held on the Evergreen campus, followed by a three-week field trip to Costa Rica. The on-campus portion will include lectures and labs on global patterns of biological diversity, quantification and analysis of ecological diversity, an overview of major taxa of Neotropical plants, insects and vertebrates, and discussions of the physical environment of tropical regions. This material will be integrated with classes in introductory statistics and conversational Spanish.
During the Costa Rica field trip, we will visit four major field sites, including coastal habitats, tropical dry forest, cloud forest and lowland rain forest. Students will learn about common plants and animals in each area, dominant landforms and ecological processes, conservation issues and current biological research activities. Students will also learn techniques of field research by participating in quantitative field labs, both faculty and student led. In the evenings there will be a series of guest lectures by research scientists. The field trip will require rigorous hiking and backpacking in remote locations.
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Study Abroad
- Approximately $2,500 (student fee plus airfare) for three-week study abroad in Costa Rica.
- May be offered again in
- Winter 2013-2014.
- Offered During
|November 28th, 2011||Dina Roberts will be teaching this program|
|March 15th, 2011||Alison Styring is now teaching this program.|