Summer 2012 quarter
- Lin Crowley media and Chinese Studies
- Fields of Study
- cultural studies, history, language studies and study abroad
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- International studies, cultural studies, Chinese language and education
This study-abroad program allows students to experience China, the second largest economy in the world. Students will travel to Beijing, China's capital city, and the ancient "silk road" to experience Chinese culture first hand. Students will have the opportunity to witness modern, traditional, urban, and rural life in the heart of China. Students can also explore the blossoming artistic and cultural scenes in many Chinese cities in this international study trip.
China is one of the world’s oldest and richest continuous cultures. It is one of largest trading partners of the United States. Chinese society is constantly reinventing itself even while struggling to maintain a balance of cultural and social continuity with its past. This program will be devoted to understanding the contemporary China and its relation to the Western world. We will explore the different aspects of culture by visiting art and history museums and historically significant locales. Our time will be devoted to the learning of the ancient Silk Road and how contemporary China is again using this route to link itself to the rest of the world. We will also take a close look into Chinese ethnic culture and religion.
Please see blogs.evergreen.edu/chinastudyabroad/ for more information. Contact the faculty to indicate your interest and register early, as we have a limit of 20 for this summer program. Pre-registration for the program is recommended.
Students wishing to pursue further research and reflection upon their return to Evergreen after our travels are encouraged to arrange individual learning contracts for second session.
- Academic Website
- Advertised Schedule
- Approximately four weeks of travel beginning on or about Jun. 20.
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Required Fees
- TBA, or approximately $2500 for study abroad program fee plus international air travel.
- Study Abroad
- Study and travel in China and Taiwan for approximately four weeks beginning on or about Jun. 20. There is a $300 non-refundable deposit due March 22, 2012.
- Offered During
- Day and Weekend
|April 16th, 2012||Cancelled: This program was cancelled due to low enrollment.|
|March 28th, 2012||Travel plans changed. This program will now visit only China (rather than China and Taiwan as was initiall advertised).|