Winter 2012 quarter
- Samuel Schrager American studies, folklore
- Fields of Study
- American studies, anthropology, community studies, cultural studies, sociology and writing
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- humanities, social sciences, community and cultural work, writing and journalism.
This Individual Studies offering is for students with some fieldwork experience who want to undertake more advanced ethnographic study about persons, a group, an organization, a community, or a place. The focus can be on any topics meaningful to those involved in the study--for instance, cultural identity, oral history, values, traditions, equality, and everyday life. Sam will provide guidance on ethnographic method (including documentation, interpretation, and ethics) and on creative non-fiction writing for a final paper about the study. An internship or volunteer work can be linked to the project. (Students interested in this offering are also encouraged to consider enrolling in Writing American Cultures , where they can pursue a major independent project of this kind as part of an ongoing learning community.)
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Internship Possibilities
- Faculty will support student internships.
- Study Abroad
- Study abroad can be supported, especially NGO or other community-based work.
- Offered During
|December 22nd, 2011||New opportunity added.|