Fall 2011 quarter
- Jean MacGregor environmental education
It is widely agreed that an environmentally literate and concerned citizenry is crucial to environmental quality and long-term sustainability --but how and where is environmental and sustainability literacy fostered? And where "environmental education" occurs, is it effective? This class explores the history, philosophical underpinnings, and current trends in environmental education for both youth and adults, in both formal sectors (schools and colleges) and non-formal ones.
This class provides a theoretical and practical introduction to the field of environmental education and interpretation. It will be useful to students interested in environmental teaching or communications as a career, or to those whose environmental work might involve education or outreach components.
- A theoretical grounding in environmental education (EE): its precursors and history, its various rationales, and the working principles to which EE professionals aspire.
- An introductory understanding of learning theory and of educational settings which foster meaningful, lasting learning.
- A working knowledge of several arenas in which environmental education is practiced, with attention to both the opportunities and challenges for volunteer and professional environmental educators.
- A framework for evaluation of environmental education programs.
- An understanding of the increasingly politically charged nature of environmental education and implications for professional practice.
- The student's own construction of the promise of environmental education as well as some of its shortcomings and tensions----and a more complex "concept map" of the field.
- An introductory understanding of social marketing approaches to fostering environmentally responsible behaviors.
- A heightened awareness of the importance of fostering environmental literacy.
- Advertised Schedule
- 6-10p Mon
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Undergraduate Credit Option
- Requires Faculty Approval
- Offered During