Principles of Practice
To promote ethical conduct in the performance of the CARE Network and to maintain the integrity of the Network.
Members of the CARE Network shall
Act with integrity
Foster respect for all members of the Evergreen community
Promote procedural fairness in the content and administration of Evergreen’s practices, processes, and policies.
Neutrality and Impartiality
- The CARE Network is independent to the highest degree possible within the organization.
Neutrality and Impartiality
- The CARE Network is designated as neutral and remains unaligned and impartial.
- Network members do not engage in any situation which could create a conflict of interest; the CARE Network has no personal interest or stake in and incurs no personal gain or loss from the outcome of an issue.
- The CARE Network strives for impartiality, fairness and objectivity in the treatment of people and the consideration of issues and advocates for fair and equitably administered processes.
- The CARE Network does not advocate on behalf of any individual within the organization; the CARE Network has a responsibility to consider the legitimate concerns and interests of all individuals affected by the matter under consideration.
- The CARE Network holds all communications with those seeking assistance in strict confidence, and does not disclose confidential communications unless given permission to do so. The only exception to this privilege of confidentiality is where there appears to be imminent risk of serious harm.
- The CARE Network does not reveal the identity of any individual contacting the Network, nor does the Network reveal information provided in confidence that could lead to the identification of any individual.
- The CARE Network does not provide information in any formal
- The CARE Network keeps no records containing identifying information.
- The CARE Network maintains information (e.g. notes, phone messages) in a secure location and manner, protected from inspection by others and has a consistent and standard practice for the destruction of such information.
- The CARE Network functions on an informal basis by such means as: listening, providing and receiving information, identifying and reframing issues, developing a range of responsible options. When possible the CARE Network helps people develop new ways to solve problems themselves.
- Use of the CARE Network is voluntary, and is not a required step in any grievance process or organizational policy.
- The CARE Network does not make binding decisions, mandate policies, or formally adjudicate issues for Evergreen.
- The CARE Network does not participate in any formal investigative or adjudicative procedures. Formal investigations should be conducted by others.
- The CARE Network identifies trends, issues and concerns about policies and procedures, including potential future issues and concerns, without breaching confidentiality or anonymity, and provides recommendations for responsibly addressing them.
These Principles are modifications of the Standards of Practice used by the International Ombudsman Association www.ombudsassociation.org/standards.html