Risk Management Office
The Risk Management Office provides assistance when risk due to injury, damage or loss has been established by The Evergreen State College.
- Certificate of Liability - Evidence of Insurance
- Claims Management
- Fine Art
- How to report an incident involving a State Driver
- Insurance and privately owned vehicles
- Motor vehicle accidents involving a State Driver
- Purchase of Insurance
- Reporting an accident involving a state driver
- Tort Claims
Certificates of Insurance are issued when needed to verify that The Evergreen State College is covered under WA States Self Insurance Liability Program for a specific activity, lease or agreement. They are issued:
- when evidence of coverage is requested by the owner, vendor or lessor of land, facilities, or equipment being leased, rented or used by the College for its operations
- when evidence of coverage is requested by another party for whom the College employees perform services and/or activities as part of an agreement
- when evidence of coverage is needed for general or vehicle liability covered by the Self Insurance Liability Program.
If you need a Certificate of Insurance please contact the Director of Business Services, Risk Management Office, Library 1125, one month prior to the date(s) needed, either via email or at 867.6450.
The Director of Business Services office interacts with outside parties concerning claims investigation, claims management and incident reporting.
Art exhibits that are on loan providing the exhibit is itemized as to object (description or title), the value is stated on the listing, the dates of coverage are specified, the method of conveyance is detailed, and the listing is filed with the Director of Business Services, Risk Management office prior to the start of the exhibit. In the case of exhibits on loan, a release signed loan agreement must be obtained from the owner for filing with the listing. Note that this only provides coverage through the tort claim process where the state must be found to be wholly or partially negligent.
A highway crash or any non-highway damage to a state vehicle - or your privately owned vehicle while driving on state business - must be reported to the Department of Enterprise Services, Office of Risk Management within 48 hours of the incident.
RCW 43.19.1935 provides that colleges and universities shall consult with the State Risk Manager's office when purchasing insurance. The State Risk Manager will provide insurance assistance and quotes. Requests to purchase insurance policies are directed to the Director of Business Services office for evaluation. Notify the Director of Business Services office at least one month before the coverage is required. Timely notification provides the Director of Business Services office with adequate time to negotiate the most economical insurance rate. Premiums are charged to the Evergreen budget, which requires the insurance. The charges are indicated on the budget's monthly account statement.
The college purchases commercial insurance in certain circumstances:
- Property Insurance: This covers insured property for all risks of direct physical loss or damage to the property. Property covered includes housing buildings (under bond indenture), the President's residence, the Childcare Center, the College Activities Building (CAB), and the Tacoma Campus.
- Loss of Rents: The College purchases loss of rents insurance on all College housing facilities. This insurance is to provide a continuation of rental income on housing facilities in the event of fire or other hazards.
- Surety Bonds: This bond protects the college against major losses sustained through fraudulent or dishonest acts of any employee of the college. All suspected losses due to theft, embezzlement, or other dishonest acts need to be reported immediately to campus Police Services. Police Services will promptly prepare a report and advise the Director of Business Services who in turn will give proper notification to the State Auditor, State Risk Manager, and Internal Auditor.
- Miscellaneous Insurance: When it is felt insurance is needed for some particular activity other than those listed above, the office in charge of such activity must contact the Director of Business Services, Risk Management office, Library 1125, extension 6450, to see if insurance coverage is available, at least one month prior to the activity taking place.