Men split two on the road including double overtime win

February 3, 2007

SALEM, Oregon - It was an exciting weekend for men's basketball as they split two games including a nail-biter double overtime game against Corban College on Saturday.

Friday night Geoducks fell to a late run by Concordia in tonight's Cascade Conference game.

Coach Tom Kenna was positive following the game, "We lost, but we had all our players in the game and playing hard".

Greg Shadowvine led Evergreen scorers with 18 points, followed by Devon Conner-Green with 17.

Evergreen defeated host Corban 94-93 in a thrilling double overtime game Saturday night .

Corban held to a slim two-point lead (31-29) heading into the locker room at halftime with game play seeing lead changes several times in the first period.

The second half opened with Evergreen's Devon Connor-Green tying the game for the 6th time (31-31) with a lay-up less than 30 seconds into the last half. Each team traded free throws midway in the period before Evergreen's leading scorer Adam Moore got called for an offensive foul and then received a technical foul for hitting the wall in frustration for his fifth foul of the game. At the point that Moore was lost from the remainder of the contest, Hannes Gehring nailed both technical free throws to give Corban an eight-point lead (64-56) with 8:10 left in the second half. Evergreen's bench received the Geoducks' second technical of the game that afforded Gehring another free opportunity at the line. Following Gehring making 1-out-of-2 free throws, Corban had its largest lead of the contest (67-56) with 7:41 to go. Evergreen lost two more players to fouls, Devon Connor-Green and David Howard, with 4:24 left, as Corban held to a six-point lead (75-69) with just over five minutes to go in the second half.

Despite the player deficit, the Geoducks used the talents of Marcus Whittaker and Greg Shadowvine and used a 8-2 run over a span of 3:22 to again tie the game. Evergreen had two shots from the charity stripe by Whittaker to which brought the game to 80 points each and sent the game into overtime.

In the first overtime period, Morris gave Corban a slim two-point lead (82-80) with a jumper in the paint 29 seconds into the extra stanza. Evergreen's Rahiti Marere hit a jumper with 4:13 left to tie the game for the 10th time at 82-82. The host Warriors used a 6-0 run over a span of 1:53 to take what seemed to be an insurmountable 88-82 lead only to watch as Evergreen's Whittaker hit back-to-back shot from beyond the arc to knot the game for the 11th time at 88-all. Corban's senior Kevin Van Hook had a chance to end the game, but had the ball striped by Evergreen's Lonnie Twitchell as the buzzer sounded to send the game into a second overtime period.

In the second overtime, a jumper by Evergreen's Lloyd Jackson gave the first advantage of the 4th period to the Geoducks (90-88). Corban's Wade Douglas hit a pair of free throws to tie the game for the 12th and final time (90-90) with 4:02 left. Corban senior Brad Reynoso (Salem, Ore.) hit one-of-two free throws before Hannes Gehring pushed the Warriors lead to three points (93-90) via a lay-up with 2:35 to go. A pair of free throws by Evergreen's Marere pulled the Geoducks within a point (93-92) with 2:07 remaining before Evergreen's defense stepped up the pressure. Two straight possessions came up empty for Corban, as they turned the ball over and missed a three-point attempt with 51 seconds left. Evergreen's Marare converted a lay-up with 25 seconds left to give the Geoducks the lead (94-93). Corban missed an attempt from long distance with three seconds left and secured the offensive rebound. Corban's Gehring took a shot but missed and a last ditch effort by Corban to keep the ball in play on the rebound resulted in a blind pass that ended up in the hands of Lonnie Twitchell. The buzzer sounded and allowed Evergreen to escape with the 1-point win (94-93) in double overtime.

Evergreen was led by Whittaker's team-high 26 points on 7-for-17 shooting from the field, including 3-for-9 from beyond the arc and a 9-for-10 performance at the free throw line. Despite having four-out-of-five starters foul out of the game, Evergreen got 22 points from Moore, 13 from Marere, 11 from Shadowvine, and 10 from Connor-Green. Four Geoducks; Moore, Whittaker, Connor-Green, and Marere -- led the team with 7 rebounds each, while Jesse Norris and David Howard added 5 and 4 boards respectively.

Corban's Wade Douglas had a game-high of 27 points and 17 rebounds. Teammate Gehring added a career-high 25 points on 8-for-18 shooting from the field, including a team-best 3-for-8 from beyond the three-point line.

Evergreen shot 27-for-61 (44.3%) from the field, including an excellent 34-for-43 (79.1%) from the charity stripe. The two teams combined to shoot 57 free throws over the final thirty minutes, as Corban attempted 22 shots from the charity stripe and Evergreen went to the free throw line 35 times. Corban shot 31-for-71 (43.7%) from the field, including a 24-for-33 (72.7%) performance at the free throw line.

With three Cascade Conference games remaining Evergreen improves to 8-18 overall and 4-11 in the conference. Evergreen hosts Northwest University Friday, February 9th, beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Box Scores

vs Concordia

vs Corban