Men's Basketball vs. Seattle U. 2004

November 23, 2004

OLYMPIA, WA -- Things were looking good for the Evergreen men's basketball team in the opening minutes of their game with Seattle University. Walter Tucker snatched a couple of steals and the Geoducks worked the ball into the paint against the bigger Redhawks.

John Hammond and Wes Newton found easy passes to the interior of Seattle's man-to-man defense, and Tucker and Julius Marshall went hard to the basket to build 9-5 lead for the Geoducks four minutes into the game.

Those four minutes were all Redhawks coach John Callero needed to see as he bagged his man-to-man defense for a 2-3 zone the rest of the game.

The change made life more difficult for the Geoducks who have been struggling from the perimeter. But Evergreen didn't wholly abandon the inside game. Their patience paid off as the Geoducks posted their best first-half shooting percentage in their last three games at 39 percent. Evergreen also used strong offensive rebounding to make up for their misses as they went two of ten from behind the arc in the first half.

But Seattle University got their points easier as they move the ball quickly through Evergreen's full-court defense. The Geoduck's half-court set fared little better as the Redhawks consistently found men open under the hoop for easy scores.

Seattle was up 29-21 and had possession in the waning seconds of the half. But as they played for the last shot a Dennis Flynn steal and Wes Newton three pointer sent the teams off the court at 29-21.

Evergreen tied the game at 31-31 three and a half minutes into the second half sa the Geoducks continued to fight for second chances at the offensive end. Josh Peterson made the work pay off with a long three pointer to tie the game.

The Redhawks answered with a three of their own as the Geoducks' man defense struggled to keep up with SU's ball movement.

But Peterson stepped up again right after an Evergreen time out to knot the score at 36.

That was the last time Evergreen would threaten as the Redhawks went on an eight point run courtesy of two Geoduck turnovers and shots by Tucker, Marshall and Peterson that rimmed out.

The Su lead ballooned to 51-38, but two three pointers by Giovonne Woods pulled Evergreen tio within eight at 59-51. But the Geoducks' defense failed to make a stop, and Evergreen turned the ball over on consecutive possessions to stall the run.

Evergreen went to full-court pressure with just under three remaining. But it was too little, too late as SU offense milked the clock closing the game out at 70-56

Evergreen was led in scoring by Woods with 13, followed by Marshall with 11. Tucker and Peterson scored ten on the night making this the first game all season in which Evergreen had four players in double figures. Peterson also led the team with ten rebounds.

Redhawk Andy Bloom was the game's leading scorer with 14.

Evergreen will take to the road for games at Lewis-Clark State College and Whitman this weekend before hosting UPS on December 1st at 7:30 p.m.