Evergreen and UPS play at full speed for 40 minutes

December 09, 2003

by James J. Portune

TACOMA, WA -- The outcome of Tuesday's (Dec. 9) South Sound match-up between The Evergreen State College Geoducks (0-0 Cascade Conference, 2-4 Overall) and the University of Puget Sound Loggers (0-0 Northwest Conference, 4-1 Overall) was determined by fatigue. For forty minutes the Geoducks and the Loggers sprinted up and down Memorial Fieldhouse, with UPS emerging the 97-93 victors.

With ninety seconds left in the game UPS held a slim three point lead, 96-93. A tough defensive effort on Evergreen's part prevented the Loggers from taking an insurmountable lead. But, the Geoducks were so exhausted from the track meet on the basketball floor that they could not get to the rebound and it fell to the floor unattended. UPS retrieved the loose ball and added an additional point to the lead on the back end of a two-shot free throw, when Evergreen fouled to stop the clock.

With enough time left on the clock for one good possession, Evergreen broke the Loggers 3/4 court press and got the ball to the top of the key. But the final shot for Evergreen never came, as the intended shooters bounced the ball off his foot.

The 53-points that Evergreen scored in the first half was a complete team effort. Junior transfer Walter Tucker (Jackson, Miss./Wingfield H.S.) led the team with 10 points, Karriem Fielding (Sacramento, Calif./Burbank H.S.) followed with 9 points, Josh Peterson (Winlock, Wash./Winlock H.S.) contributed 8 points, Julius Marshall (Renton, Wash./Issaquah H.S.) and Ben Riippi (Puyallup, Wash./Puyallup H.S.) both scored 6 points, Nate Robinson (Kent, Wash./Kentwood H.S.) and Tygann Billow (Bellevue, Wash./Sammamish H.S.) each scored 5 points, and Zack Haley (Tacoma, Wash./Wilson H.S.) recorded 4 points. Of the nine Evergreen players who played in the 1st half, Adam Laneer (Tumwater, Wash./ Tumwater H.S.) was the only one not to score.

UPS made up their nine-point half time deficit, 53-44, up from behind the three point line in the second half. In the first half they made just 1 of 10 (10%) long range shots. The five three pointer the Loggers made in the second forty-minutes put them in control and forced Evergreen to play catch-up the entire period.

The other indicator that the high tempo pace wore Evergreen out, was the falloff of offensive rebounding in the 2nd half.

In the 1st half, the Geoducks took advantage of ten second change opportunities, scoring 10 points off 51% shooting from the field. The three offensive rebounds they managed to pull in during the 2nd half, on 43% field goal shooting, produced only three points.