Kevin Ranker, BA, 1997
- The San Juan Initiative
- The Ocean Foundation
- The Surfrider Foundation
- Coast Consulting
Type(s) of Business
Date(s) of Operation
- The San Juan Initiative, 2006 – present
- The Ocean Foundation, 2007 – present
- The Surfrider Foundation, 1995 – 1999
- Coast Consulting, 1997 – present
PO Box 3354
Friday Harbor, WA, 98250
Description of Business, Organization, Invention
- Conceptualized and co-developed this initiative that works to improve ecosystem protection in San Juan County in a manner that supports the prosperity of the San Juan community, builds local capacity for ecosystem protection, and serves as a pilot for the rest of Puget Sound.
- Founded the Pacific Region Office. Responsible for all aspects of organizational development, policy, fund management and grant making for the west coast of United States, Canada and Mexico for The Ocean Foundation, a private international grantmaking foundation focused on coastal and ocean conservation. The Ocean Foundation works to support, strengthen, and promote those organizations dedicated to the protection of coastal and ocean environments and the communities that depend upon them around the world through direct consultation and distribution of over $3 million in grants and direct support annually.
- Founded the first chapters of the organization north of California and later conceptualized and opened the first regional office of the organization. Responsible for conceptualizing, developing, securing funding and launching regional and national campaigns for the Surfrider Foundation, an organization with a mission of protecting and preserving the world’s coastlines and oceans and the communities that depend on them. Tracked emerging national trends and identified synergies between those trends and the organization’s current programs/campaigns.
- Kevin began consulting in late 1997 and has continued since. Kevin specializes in coaching senior staff and board members with regard to campaign development, grantmaking, strategic positioning of organizations and individuals, board development, high-end donor/foundation development and cultivation. Clients have included national and local business leaders, philanthropic foundations and national environmental and social non-profit organizations.
Evergreen helped prepare me for my professional life in the following way
My experiences in studying Community Development with Russ Foxx and Ecology with Oscar Soule were fundamental lessons for me that shaped who I am today. Their guidance, leadership and friendship allowed me to grow and learn in a way that positioned me for a wonderfully fulfilling future.