Special Circumstances

We can help you answer these questions

An afterword from Admissions

I missed the application priority date. May I still submit an application?

We encourage you to submit a timely application to ensure that you will receive full admission review and receive financial aid, scholarship and early registration consideration. Applications for undergraduate admission that are received after the priority date will be accepted if space remains available. Please contact Admissions at (360) 867-6170 for further information if you are sending an application after the priority dates below:

Priority Application Dates

     Applications accepted from

     Priority date
Fall Quarter      September 1 until      March 1
Winter Quarter      April 1 until      October 1
Spring Quarter      June 1 until      December 1

I can't pay the $50 (US) application fee. May I have this fee waived?

Yes, there is a fee waiver process. Be aware that your application for admission will be delayed until it is determined that a waiver will be granted or the fee is paid. The following are possible processes to follow to obtain an application fee waiver.

High School Seniors
1. Ask your high school counselor to complete an SAT or ACT waiver form on your behalf.
2. Attach this form to your paper application (PDF) for admission (do not use the online application) and send them to Evergreen. If this solution is not available to you, follow the directions under "Applicants who are not attending high school or enrolled in a college."

Current College Students
1. Ask your financial aid counselor for a letter than states your Expected Family Contribution for the current academic year. This letter should be on the college's letterhead and include:

2. The financial aid counselor should sign and send the letter directly to Evergreen:

The Evergreen State College
Office of Admissions
2700 Evergreen Pkwy NW
Olympia, WA 98505

Do not include this letter with your application for admission. You should submit your paper application (PDF) for admission (do not use the online application) and include a note that you've requested a letter from your financial aid counselor for a fee waiver.

Applicants who are not attending high school or enrolled at a college
The application fee waiver is dependent upon the Expected Family Contribution determined by the information you supply on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may complete the FAFSA online. In the meantime, these are the steps to take:

  1. Complete the paper application (PDF) (do not use the online application).
  2. Enclose a written request for an application fee waiver. Include your name and mailing address on this request. Upon receipt of your application and request, a Credentials Evaluator in will send you a form to complete.
  3. Complete and return this form as directed. You are required to include your Social Security Number on this form. This form and the results of the FAFSA will be compared. If you are eligible to receive a Pell Grant, your application fee will be waived.

You will be notified of the waiver decision (either "yes" or "no") by Admissions in writing.
These steps are available as a PDF.

I've been denied admission to Evergreen. I want to appeal-what do I do?

Write a letter to the Director of Admissions and clearly state how your academic achievements have prepared you for study at Evergreen. If you are still attending school, you may wish to include a more recent transcript that shows marked improvement. For example, if the high school transcript sent to Admissions shows the work you completed through the end of your junior year, you should send us a transcript that shows the work you completed through the end of the first quarter/semester/trimester of your senior year.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that precludes Admissions from communicating with anyone except you (the applicant) in regard to your admission status. This means that the Admissions Staff cannot talk to your parents, counselor or friends about the results of your application without your expressed written consent.

I've submitted an application and my plans have changed, so I can't attend Evergreen. What do I do?

You can withdraw your application for admission by sending us a letter describing your change in plans. This letter should be sent to our mailing address with the following information:

Applicants can make a one-time request to have their application considered for admission to a future quarter (limited to one calendar year). For example, if your application was considered for fall 2013 admission, you may request to have your application reconsidered for admission to fall 2014. Note: admission selectivity does vary from quarter to quarter. Offers of admission to winter or spring quarter may be limited with priority consideration awarded to transfer applicants. Other restrictions may apply so please contact us by phone at (360) 867-6170 or by email with your specific questions.

How long will you keep my application and transcripts if I don't enroll?

Transcripts of students who do not register/enroll for the term for which they applied will be held for two years before being destroyed. Be aware that, credentials, including original documents and official transcripts submitted in support of an application for admission, become property of the college and cannot be returned or reproduced.

I graduated from a Washington high school and attended a university in another state. Why do you have me listed as a "nonresident?" How can I get this changed?

You will be listed as a nonresident if you were enrolled at a college/university in another state in the past three years. After reviewing your application, the Credentials Evaluator will send you the appropriate forms for you to complete and return to Registration and Records.

Current Washington State Residency rules require that in order to be considered eligible for in-state tuition rates, domicile must be established for at least one year in Washington. Domicile is defined as "a person's true, fixed, and permanent home. It is the place where he or she expects to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere." (WAC 250-18-015)

Students must submit a change of residency application. The Office of Registration and Records provides residency information and processes these applications. You may also call (360) 867-6180 or email Registration and Records with your questions.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the US Department of Education.

Information about your records can be released only to you, the applicant. Every office at Evergreen is bound by FERPA-therefore, it includes, but is not limited to: admissions, financial aid, registration, student accounts and the health center. It is extremely important that you take responsibility for your college admission and contact Evergreen directly because we cannot release information to your parents, counselors or friends.

Confidentiality of Records is maintained by Registration and Records.

Why do you want to know about the education level of my parents?

We are interested in collecting accurate information about your parents' education because this information will be used to support Washington state and federal government programs to address the needs of college students. We ask about the education level of your parents in questions #25 to #28 on the application for admission. Your responses are not required to process or consider your application for admission. You are encouraged to complete the Family Information section of the application even if you are no longer a dependent.

Why do you want to know if I've been in foster care in Washington state?

The Governors' Scholarship for Foster Youth and Passport to College Promise Scholarship are two scholarships available to Washington state residents who have been in foster care. Both scholarship programs encourage foster youth to prepare for and succeed in college. Your response is not required to process or consider your application for admission.

Have you been in foster care in Washington state?

If you answer "yes," you should review the information about both scholarships - Washington State Governors' Scholarship for Foster Youth and Passport to College Promise Scholarship. Each scholarship is maintained by different organizations and has separate applications.

I have more questions. How do I contact Evergreen for answers?

Send us an email, call or write us with your questions. The address below is also where you should send official transcripts and test scores.

The Evergreen State College
Office of Admissions
2700 Evergreen Pkwy NW
Olympia, WA 98505

(360) 867-6170

An afterword from Admissions
Evergreen may not be able to offer admission to all qualified applicants if the number of applicants exceeds the number of enrollment spaces available in the entering class.

The college reserves the right to deny the applicant admission if his or her enrollment could present a physical danger to the campus community.

Once the college notifies you of your eligibility, you will be asked to send a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $50 (US) by a stated deadline to assure your place at the college for the quarter of admission. This deposit is an admissions processing fee that will be credited toward the first quarter's tuition. Admission and deposit do not guarantee your enrollment in a particular program or course.