Assistive Technology (AT) Lab
What is Assistive Technology or “AT”
Assistive Technology is software, hardware, and/or strategies deisgned to help students succeed with his or her academic endeavors.
NEW: Read and Write Gold - FREE DOWNLOAD for all students, staff, and faculty!
Read and Write Gold is a robust software application that contains reading, writing, studying, & research tools, and integrates with common applications such as MS Word, and Adobe .PDF files.
It has many functions including screen reading and dictation capabilities!
All you need to access this download is your Evergreen login credentials (username and password), and an internet connection. Please note that this may take up to 30-45 minutes to install, depending on your internet speed.
To download for PC:
To download for Mac:
For more information about Read and Write Gold, please visit TextHelp's webpage.
Where we are:
We are located on the main floor of the Library in room 2318.
What we have available in our lab:
Three computers with scanners, on adjustable height tables loaded with the following software.
- Read & Write Gold
- J.A.W.S. -- Screen Reader
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking -- Speech Recognition, STT
- Inspiration -- Executive Function support, Visual and Organizational
- ZoomText -- Screen Magnifier
- Learning Ally -- Daisy Reader
As well as CCTV, Ergonomic Keyboards, Alternative Mice, Keyboards with Large Letters and Dragon Certified Headsets for dictation.
Types of Assistive Technology
Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech (TTS)
- a software application that interprets what is being displayed on the screen (headings, text, hyperlinks and accessible photos), then presents it to the user with text-to-speech.
Speech Recognition or Speech-to-Text (STT)
- translates spoken words into text. It is also known as "automatic speech recognition", "speech to text", or just "STT" Used to dictate text or control a computer.
Executive Function Support Software
- Assists with Organizational Tasks, Time Management, Planning and Mind Mapping, Visual Learning and Thinking
- Software application that visually magnifies everything on a computer screen.
- Software or Hardware used for listing to daisy formatted books. Used for students with Visual Impairment or Learning Disabilities.
Coordinator, Assistive Technology Services
The Evergreen State College
Office - Library 2314